Saturday 7 February 2009

From one *nix to another

Well, today I took the plunge after months of deliberation, internal justification ( needs vs. wants ), Apple site teasing ( don't ask ) and scrimping.

I visited the most-excellent Apple Store and picked up a lovely new Macbook Pro 15". The spec. is identical to that recently acquired by my frolleague, Scoot, and I'm already completely hooked.

This is my first ever Mac, and ( like most others ) I can't ever see me going back to a PC.

The MBP will become a home/play machine ( OK, I *might* do some work-stuff on it ) alongside my "real" work machine, currently a Thinkpad T60p running Ubuntu 8.10.

I will continue to explore, experiment and blog on my experiences and travails with Ubuntu, as I'm still convinced that there is a really positive future for desktop Linux ( as well as desktop Unix ).

For me, as a geek, it's just nice to have choices - with Linux, it's a real feast of choices ( kinda like an all-you-can-eat buffet in The Mall Of America ) whereas OSX is more just ready-to-go.

I haven't yet installed iLife 09 etc. but have played with the installed applications - so far, I can't find anything that (a) doesn't work or (b) that I don't like.

I will install Notes 8.5 tomorrow, along with iLife 09, and will continue to play/post.

Printing to my Samba printer ( actually an HP PSC 500 that's 10+ years old ) worked without problems, and I used Skype for a tele/videoconference with a friend in New Zealand, again with no issues whatsoever.

All in all, 10/10 for Apple, and for their staff,  both in the store and on the phone

6 comments:

Marcus Khoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcus Khoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcus Khoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcus Khoo said...

Yeah, the apple devices are just so good and as you say - just work! My problem is that there is no such thing as a "cheap" Macbook. I guess you shouldn't compare Apples to anything other an an Apple!

Marcus Khoo said...

Sorry about the five comments! My browser cached the post and when I pressed "back"... Well you can guess. :D

Dave Hay said...

:-) in quality terms, the MBP is worth the money, and I keep telling myself that when I realise that I could buy three or four HP/Dell/Toshiba laptops for the same price

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...