Monday 29 June 2009

Error "Failed to create event client" when trying to use Lotus Sametime Server 8.0.2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Having installed Domino 8.0.2 and Sametime 8.0.2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2, I was annoyed to find that the Sametime tasks would crash shortly after the server started, with no obvious error apart from: -

Failed to create event client

in the Domino console.

As per usual, I Googled around until I found this: -


which suggested that the problem was that the Sametime server was unable to resolve / bind to the localhost address, due to an incorrect entry in /etc/hosts.

I checked my box and, lo and behold, my /etc/hosts file only had the line: -

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

This is, afaik, only relevant for IP v6 addresses, whereas I, like most of the rest of the intraweb, are using IP v4.

I added: -

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

to the file, and restarted the Domino server and...... it all worked nicely.

As ever, one lives and, if you will, one learns :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...