Sunday 28 June 2009

Installing Lotus Domino 8.5 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3

Am having fun and games trying to get Domino 8.5 working on Linux.

After spending quite some time trying ( and failing ) to get it running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ( RHEL ) 4, I decided to try an updated version of the OS, 5.0 update 3 aka 5.3.

I downloaded the code as C1SQ1EN.tar, extracted it to a temporary directory ( /tmp ) and then installed it via the command /tmp/linux/domino/install -console.

However, when I attempted to run the server to perform the setup: -

su - notes
cd /local/notesdata/
/opt/ibm/lotus/bin/server

I received the error: -

expr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

A quick Google led me here: -
Domino ../linux/startup script evaluates Red Hat 5.3 as Red Hat 3


This suggests that the server script looks at the file /etc/issue which contains the line: -

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)

and evaluates the version as Red Hat 3 rather than 5.3. This causes an environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 to be set, which isn't correct for this later release of RHEL.

The TechNote directed me to amend the server script, but I decided to plow my own furrow and simply backup/amend /etc/issue to read: -

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga)

which appeared to have the same effect.

Having made this minor change, I was able to start the server, and complete the setup.

Caveat

This worked for me - I'm not sure if there are any other knock-on effects from this modification, and I will follow the TechNote at a later date. Don't try this at home, kids.

Caveat

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave, I have different issues because I run 32bit Domino on a 64bit Ubuntu system. Domino won't start initially or after a kernel update. All I need to do is remove the symlink for libresolv.s0.2 that points to the 64bit file to point to the lib32 file. Is your libc.so.6 a symlink and are you running Redhat as 64bit?

Anyway, you work way to hard mate!

Dave Hay said...

Hi

Nope, I'm running a 32bit version of RHEL ( 2.6.18-128.1.14.el5
) but libc.so.6 *IS* a symlink

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 28 17:45 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.5.so

Regards Dave

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...