Thursday 21 October 2010

Out Now - Lotus Symphony 3

Nearly missed this, but I noticed that the most recent version of Lotus Symphony, 3, was released yesterday - October 20.

Having  used Symphony for most of the past three years, I've been getting more and more impressed as the version numbers have incremented.

Version 3 has been out in beta for a while now, and I've been using the latest version 4 beta.

Well, no more ....

Once the download completes, I shall remove the beta and install the GA version.

I'm running Symphony on Ubuntu 10.04, but ( as you'd imagine ) it's also available on other platforms,

          o Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7
          o SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11, RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Update 4, Ubuntu 8.04
          o Macintosh OS X 10.5, Macintosh OS X 10.6.2, Intel only

Have you tried Symphony yet ?

If not, why not ? It's free, and might be a good investment of a little time.

In the words of Mrs Doyle, "...Aw go on, you'll have some. Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on GO ON!...."

The code is available from here.

3 comments:

Nick said...

RCP Base Plug-In not found.

Please allow me to tell you why not to use Symphony, there is a problem with the installer, has been around since 1.2, IBM have not bothered to correct it. I find that it occours on 25% of installed POC and the only way I have found to get rid of it is to reinstall Windows.

When you are doing this on client sites and you have to do a complete Windows re installation that is a massive wast of time and generally you cant bill your customer's.

I have posted in teh Symphony Wiki, but nothing. So please be aware that 25% of you will get this problem.

Dave Hay said...

Hi Nick, thanks for your feedback - I also see your comments on the Symphony Forum here.

Probably a dumb question, but do you see this when you install a new version over the top of 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2 ?

Sadly I've been using Mac OSX and Linux for such a long time now, that I've not put Symphony on Windows for some while.

David Vanheukelom said...

Did the registry cleaning as explained here below and it worked. Other solutions did not fix.
http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/lswiki.nsf/dx/Manually_uninstalling_on_windows_(ongoing)
Note that it cleans the registry like uninstall. So if you didn't install to the default directory, you must update that destination folder path.
(I was upgrading from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1)

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...