Friday 12 November 2010

Hmmm, how did I manage that ? VLC opens instead of Gnome's File Manager ( Nautilus )

Somehow, I managed to conficker Ubuntu 10.10 to always attempt to open a folder in VLC rather than the more conventional Nautlius File Manager.

Not sure how, but I was definitely using VLC to watch Battlestar Galactica: Razor t'other night so it must be pilot error :-)

Anyhow, I fixed it as follows: -

  1. Navigate to the Desktop ( or, to be fair, any other view of a folder hierarchy )
  2. Select a folder with the left-hand mouse button
  3. Right-click ( this is now a verb ! ) on the folder
  4. Choose Open With Other Application
  5. Navigate to File Browser
  6. Expand the Use Custom Command twistie
  7. Verify that the custom command now reads nautilus
  8. Ensure that Remember this application for "folder" files is checked
  9. Click Open

That's it, that's all it takes.

Easy when you know how :-)

To be fair, this  thread on UbuntuForums did help but I had to read and re-read it to be sure, to be sure.

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...