Wednesday 28 December 2011

Back in the game … if at first you don't succeed, read your own blog :-)

Every so often, I hit a problem that I know I've hit and, perhaps more importantly, overcome before.

Today was no exception, it's been bothering me for a number of months that I seem unable to print from my Macbook Pro to a Kodak printer, connected via USB to my wife's laptop ( running Ubuntu ).

I won't bore you with the gory details, but I seemed unable to automagically find the printer via the Print & Scan preferences page, and kept seeing errors such as this: -

Idle - "An unexpected error occurred. Check for problems at the printer and resubmit the job (100003)"

when printing, having manually added the printer.

To cut a long story short, I visited this very blog -> A Portal to a Portal <- and searched for CUPS and found this post -> SOLVED - Accessing CUPS printer from Mac OSX Snow Leopard

 The solution is to run the following command from a terminal session: -

cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=CUPS

Prior to doing this, the cupctl command returned this: -

_debug_logging=1
_remote_admin=0
_remote_any=0
_remote_printers=1
_share_printers=0
_user_cancel_any=0
BrowseLocalProtocols=
BrowseRemoteProtocols=DefaultAuthType=Basic
JobPrivateAccess=default
JobPrivateValues=default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess=default
SubscriptionPrivateValues=default
SystemGroup=admin
SystemGroupAuthKey=system.print.admin
WebInterface=Yes

Now it returns this: -

_debug_logging=1
_remote_admin=0
_remote_any=0
_remote_printers=1
_share_printers=0
_user_cancel_any=0
BrowseLocalProtocols=
BrowseRemoteProtocols=CUPS
DefaultAuthType=Basic
JobPrivateAccess=default
JobPrivateValues=default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess=default
SubscriptionPrivateValues=default
SystemGroup=admin
SystemGroupAuthKey=system.print.admin
WebInterface=Yes
Having done this, I can now see and, perhaps more importantly, print to the Kodak.

One addition to the blog post - I'm now running OSX 10.7.2 aka Lion, whereas I was previously running Snow Leopard, and the Linux box is now running Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal.

Nice :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...