Friday 27 July 2012

Hot on the heels - scripting the installation of IBM Lotus Domino 8.5.3 Fixpack 1

Following on from my earlier post: -

Following the script - installing IBM Lotus Domino using a response file ( silent installation )

I also wanted to script the installation of the Domino 8.5.3 fix pack.

Apart from this being general good practice, I needed to get around an interesting little problem that I experienced when I installed the fix pack interactively: -

$ ./install

Lotus Notes for Unix Install Program
------------------------------------
Installer is initializing. It may take a few minutes, please, wait.

Error: The minimum supported terminal size is 130 columns by 24 rows.
Please ensure that the terminal/window used is at least this size.
If user just install hotfix not fix package, you can disable this check by.
LOTUS_NOROWCOLCHECK=1
export LOTUS_NOROWCOLCHECK

I was seeing this natively within the VM, whilst running without X11 loaded, but also within a terminal window whilst X11 was running. In addition, I also saw the same thing from my host OS ( Ubuntu 12.04 ) whilst SSH'd into the RHEL VM.

This Technote wasn't much use: -

Error installing hotfix or fixpack

as it mainly related to using PuTTY on Windows.

However, it did provide one insight: -

5. Use the silent install method.

Therefore, in the spirit of the series, I created a response file: -

$ vi script.dat

installation_type = 2

and then ran the installation thusly: -

./install -script script.dat

Lotus Notes for Unix Install Program
------------------------------------
Installer is initializing. It may take a few minutes, please, wait.


WARNING:
The following system commands were not located:
  rsh
Installation to remote systems will not be possible.

Fri Jul 27 19:32:18 BST 2012

Batch mode script file is:  /root/foo/linux/domino/script.dat
Installing  Domino Server kits ...
Replacing domino_6_5_6.dtd
Replacing xspClientDojo.js.gz
Replacing domino_6_0_6.dtd
Replacing domino_8_0_2.dtd
Replacing Bahia
....

I now have a nice shiny 8.5.3 FP1 server with which to play ...

Whilst I was on the journey to this discovery, I found this rather excellent presentation from DanNotes, which covers Domino 8.5.2 installation on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES).

The deck also makes reference to Daniel Nashed's excellent script for managing Domino under Linux.

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...